Sunday, July 13, 2008

Some Clothing Etiquette Please!

A couple of months ago I was at the Philly airport on my way to spend a holiday weekend with buddies in Texas when I noticed something. If you board your flight from Terminal A in PHL you cross paths with passengers arriving and departing from/to International destinations. As I got out of the security check maze in Terminal A I noticed a British family, Mom, Dad, and three teenage daughters, walk by. And all of them, yeah ALL of them, had powder blue sweatshirts and sweatpants on. To add to the fashion parade they had thrown on some bling bling as well. Ok, I am not exactly a fashion connoisseur or the fashion police but that right there is so not cool. I don’t care what your reasons are, traveling cross continental swathed in two pieces of clothing they use to make your bathroom towels is the ultimate i-don’t-give-two-hoots for society statement. You maybe be a Rebel but please find other ways to express that feeling will ya?
Anyway, that got me thinking, what clothing is an absolute no-no in public? (people can wear whatever they want or nothing at all in private but in public, please have some consideration for fellow human beings.).

Here is a list that comes to mind:
-First of course is sweatpants/sweatshirts. Guys and girls, PLEASE, I beg of you, at least thrown on a T-shirt and jeans, how much effort does that take huh. I don’t care how comfortable they are, sweatpants/shirts in public places is the biggest no-no.

-T shirts women wear that say “Da Bomb”, “Too Hot to Handle”, “Cutie” or any other variation that tries to convey the same meaning. Really? So you expect us to go, “let’s see here, I am not really sure if this girl is hot/cute or not, so let me see what her t-shirt says, OK, it says she is. That seals it, she is totally hot, what was I thinking, I should have looked at her T shirt first, duh”.

-Dudes wearing clothing one size (sometimes two sizes) too small. Yeah we all know you spend copious amounts of time in the gym pumping iron (and consuming what have you) and want to show off the fruits of your labor but PLEASE. There are other avenues to show off your prowess, body-building competitions or playing baseball come to mind.

-Fur coats. Especially the ladies. Enough said.

-Speedos. This one time my friend and I were standing in the buffet line at a picnic near a lake and this dude walks upto the line and starts helping himself to food. In a Speedo! He then proceeded to scratch himself. Should I go on? Guys, please spare us the sight of your package while we are trying to eat some food. Stay in the pool/water if you have to wear Speedos.

-Leopard/Tiger skin clothing or accessories. I’ve never understood why women like to wear these. Are they trying to convey a secret message by wearing these? Cave people used to wear them eons ago ‘cause that’s the best they could do then. Civilization has moved along ladies. Can’t y’all too?

-Uber short ‘shorts’. Not sure if any of you have an idea as to what I am talking about here. You know I noticed this one girl the other day wearing these shorts that are basically ‘knickers’ as the British would call it. Jeezaz! Could you leave something for our imagination please!

-This is a borderline no-no for me personally. Girls jeans with no pockets in the rear. So not cool.

-This one’s technically not clothing but I have a problem nevertheless. The David Beckham Mohawk type hairstyle. Dudes, REALLY? that hairstyle is so 10 years ago. Put that half liter of gel to better use will ya?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are out of your mind. You are already showing signs of becoming some kind of a weird conservative even before joining B-School.... quite fascist actually.

Maybe some women wear leopard skin to convey the message that they are wild pussy cats and wanna purr.... I like it when they wear that in bed.

Jeans with no pockets in the rear actually accentuates a girl's rear and is quite welcome.

And, dont get your knickers in a bunch - what's so wrong with knickers and the daisy duke shorts?

And, btw the sweatsuit with bling is actually a tribute to Ali G and is quite cool if you are from London. Not to mention it is quite comfortable during travel if it is the right suit with the right lining. I think it is hella funny if an entire family wears it!

Vegan Dinner Journal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vegan Dinner Journal said...

OK. I have to chime in here. You are a liberal freak. First off, you live in Philly. PHilly is the world's capitol for sweatsuits. Stroll anywhere and you can't escape them. It was just ranked one of the nations most walkable city; and guess what, along with being the fattest city it was also ranked somewhere as being the sweatsuit capitol. Sweatsuites, walking, fat people. This is Philly. But you wouldn't know. You live in the shi shi fufu part of town. But even there sweatpants be rockin' steady. The british family did there research if they were stoppin' through here. Kudos to them. Boo to you.