Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bottoms. I like bottoms!

Can someone predict where the bottom in this market is? Some doomsayers are predicting the Dow to sink to 6000-7000 by the end of this year. Not sure if that's going to happen. But then again, this has been a crazy-ass period kids! Anything is possible.

With that a few updates:

-We finished mid-term week this Thursday. Some of us celebrated by starting drinking at Noon on Thursday and going to a class drunk at 4pm. The drinking continued until 2 am. There was some dancing involved too. Good times! Good times!

-I also went to NYC this past Monday to visit a few Investment Banks (or whatever is remaining of the Ibanks). About 90 of my classmates were bussed to NYC and we spent all day on Monday being hosted by GS, UBS, Citi, MS, and DB. I found it very useful. Much to my surprise the banks that I visited had active Energy divisions in IBD.

Interestingly, the Dow had it's largest single day gain since 1933 on Monday when we were on Wall Street. Morgan Stanley was hosting a evening reception for us and we were not sure if they would even exist by Monday evening! Luckily for them, Mitsubishi UFJ's stake pumped their stock up by 90% on that day. We met a few anxious and partly relieved MS bankers that evening.

-Sloan hosts Venture Capital breakfast sessions with Boston area VC firms on Fridays. I got to attend one of them 2 weeks ago and it was worth getting up at 6AM for. The co-founder of this VC firm gave some pointed advice which I thought was highly valuable. According to him, whether you are starting something new or out looking for VC positions, dont worry about sector or geography etc. The single most important thing is what type of people you surround yourself with. Once you do that everything else will follow. Great advice IMHO.

-I was selected to be in the organization team for the 11th Annual MIT Venture Capital Conference. I am responsible (with another classmate) of picking a panel for the Clean Energy part of the conference. We've come up a list already and I've talked to a couple of high profile VCs in the area. Our aim is to get atleast superstar to be on the panel. Let's see how it goes.

-Today (in a couple of hours) is the Elevator Pitch Contest at MIT. The EPC is essentially a contest where you are given 60 seconds to pitch a new business idea. A classmate and I are pitching an idea in Renewable Energy. Should be exciting! If any of you want to watch it live here is the link: MIT Elevator Pitch Competition. Our pitch is the generation of bio-fuel at home using waste. Let's see how our idea is torn apart today!

-I've added traditional Investment Banking to my list of career options. This is the week I will be deciding which area I will focus on for recruiting. VC/IM/IBD.

-How about them RedSox huh? The game 5 win in Boston on Thu nite was a classic no? I will admit it, once they traded Manny away I could not bring myself to support the Sox in the same way. But Thu nite was exciting.

later

No comments: