Monday, September 15, 2008

Decision Time

It's kinda ironic that a momentous day in the US Financial Markets coincides with a tough career decision for me post-Sloan. It is easy to say that what happened this weekend led me to this so called fork in the road but it is not true at all.

We had a whole day last Friday of career workshops (mentioned briefly in my earlier post) and I went and sat in on two sessions: Investment Management and Investment Banking. And I have to say Investment Management looked and sounded very good. Investment Banking did too. One thing I did not attend was the Venture Capital/Private Equity session. Subsequently I talked to two of my classmates (pretty knowledgeable ones) and I got great feedback as to why I have a great shot at getting into a Venture Capital firm.

So Friday brought a lot of confusion and self-introspection. I brooded over this all weekend and talked to folks in various areas. It all boils down to what I want from a job right after my MBA. That simple. And the answer is quite simple actually. Transferable skills set that can someday help me run a business.

And that is how I've arrived at this fork in the road: what to concentrate on for internship recruiting starting next month. (a) Trading desk position, (b) Venture Capital, or (c) Investment Management. I can't try to recruit for all three since it is highly time intensive and not productive. I need to basically drop one of the three and what is it going to be.

I am going to start sitting down with people who have careers in all three and try to get relevant information out of them this week. And then decide. Will be an interesting week.

No comments: