Saturday, September 13, 2008

It's all true

I heard a lot of stories from kids who got into business school about how it is all about time management. And me being the ever cynical guy did not buy any of it. Well, I humbly have to eat it now. There is no other way to put it. I've not had time to breathe in the past 5 weeks or so. I am hoping I get better with managing my time soon 'cause in addition to the avalanche of activities we have now companies start visiting Sloan campus on October 1 (Goldman as they should is the first firm on campus).

So briefly an update on what has been happenin' since I left Philly on Aug 3:

-The Move: We got stuck on the road for 4h in CT. Got in at 1 am and stayed up until 5am unloading stuff from our UHaul. And our apt was not exactly clean when we walked in. Took us 2 IKEA visits, 10 visits to Target, and 4 visits to Staples to settle in with furniture.

-House-warming party: We had a BBQ party at our apartment in the middle of August. And 150 kids from our class showed up. We somehow fit everyone in the tiny drive way and our apt. Cleaning up afterwards took a while.

-Roommates: Both my roommates are cool. We have had no issues yet. And I dont foresee us not getting along into the future. Both of them are OCD like I am and reasonably clean. And very laid-back.

-Classmates: Interesting bunch. I love it that they are very laid-back and grounded. Most of them atleast. We have one former Hedge Fund owner, one student who is a descendent of one of the premier automotive families of the world, and a host of interesting characters. We also have those kids who like to hear themselves talk in class. Seems like we can't avoid them anywhere.

-Orientation week: This was the highlight of the first four weeks of school. I usually can't stand team-building exercises but what they made us do during this one day of orientation was great. They took us to this outdoor center and made us go through a bunch of exercises. We had to build a real raft and paddle to the middle of a lake from scratch, climb up a 50 ft rope, and a host of great events. They were introspective and fun.

-Classes: I have 6 courses. I am enjoying finance but our ocean (the whole class is divided into groups of 70. each group is called an ocean) does not have the best finance prof at Sloan. Our accounting prof is great. I find two courses boring: Organizational process and Communication. Although parts of communication class are fun. This past week I had to go in front of the class and sell them an idea-I had 10 min to prepare. And then they asses you in front of the whole class. I am reasonably ok with impromptu speeches but would like to get better and smoother.

-Extra-curricular activies: There is no shortage of these. I am starting a Squash Club at Sloan and have a small group that plays regularly already. I am active in the Energy Club and the Sales and Trading club. oh yeah, I have been drinking almost every single day since mid-August. (Except today).

-HWs: I hate homeworks and we have a lot of them already. I was indoors all day last Saturday reading and preparing for class.

-Recruiting: I made a trip to NYC to meet a friend who is a trader at a big Ibank. He invited to come and spend a day on the trading floor with him. I was dense and did not do it after talking to some of my classmates who warned me about going to recruit this early. I should not have listened to them. oh well.

-Confused: Yeah I thought I was set on what career I wanted to pursue before coming to Sloan but we just had a career day and it left me all confused. Now I want to pursue Investment Management, Investment Banking, and Venture Capital. Not good. I need to narrow my choice soon.

-Scooter: I love it that I am using my scooter everyday here. And guess what there are hundreds of scooter users in Boston.

allrite, I need to get to bed. Have to get up early on Sunday and plan for next week. How exciting!

No comments: