Saturday, March 28, 2009

CEO + MBA = ?

Looks like I had some time to waste on Saturday morning, so I went ahead and looked into education backgrounds of CEOs of some of the prominent firms that have been in the news since this period of economic malaise began. Yeah, I know I need to get a life but I figured what the heck, at the very worst I can start making fun of some of the schools!

Anyway, I have them tabulated below. A few things about this table:

-CEOs only

-CEOs during the troubled period (2000-2008)

-I wiki’d the firms to get the CEOs backgrounds. So if whatever the wiki page said about their education (MBA only) I listed here. If anyone spots errors please point out. I will be glad to correct as I should be.

-Banks, Govt institutions, and Automobile manufacturers are included. Oh, and GE too (it needs a separate category)

-Some of the firms have not done well as you all already know and some have done ok.

I am not going to draw any conclusion from this table. Nor am I claiming any correlation between their degrees and firm performance.

Firm-CEO-MBA?-MBA School

Lehman Bros-Dick Fuld-Yes-NYU Stern

Bear Stearns-Jimmy Cayne-No
Bear Stearns-Alan Schwartz-No

Merrill Lynch-John Thain-Yes-HBS

Citi-Vikram Pandit-Yes-Columbia

Fannie Mae-Daniel Mudd-No

Freddie Mac-Richard Syron-No

Wachovia-Ken Thompson-Yes-Wake Forest

WaMu-Kerry Killinger-Yes-Univ of Iowa

AIG-Edward Libby-Yes-George Washington

GE-Jeff Immelt-Yes-HBS

GM-Rick Wagoner-Yes-HBS

Chrysler-Bob Nardelli-Yes-Univ of Louisville

Bank of America-Ken Lewis-Yes-Stanford (executive)

Wells Fargo-John Stumpf-Yes-Univ of Minnesota

JP Morgan Chase-Jamie Dimon-Yes-HBS

Morgan Stanley-John Mack-No

Goldman Sachs-Lloyd Blankfein-No

Ford-Alan Mulally-Yes-MIT Sloan

No comments: