Saturday, March 21, 2009

whoaa! AWOL big time!

That's right I have not posted in a LOOOONG time. Too much going on dudes. I thought things would slow down in the second semester but as Austin Powers would say "Au contraire". We are free this week and the next (Spring Break!). And I am not going any where, boooo! Staying in Cambridge for a variety of reasons. So what's the delio? well....

-I had to skip McKool's wedding on the left coast. I am embarrassed about it and dont feel good. Unfortunately I had no choice. There was a conference that we were having at MIT that I had to attend given my choice in venture capital for the summer. So I cancelled my tkts at the last second. Sorry McKool. I heard the wedding was great though. Best wishes to you kids.

-The second semester at school has been SUPER busy. I signed up for only 4 classes but on the side am doing 3 separate projects. Add to that my summer internship search. I have been networking like a mofo since February. I am hoping it will pay off.

-oh yeah, one of the new webblogs (xconomy.com) asked me to be a regular contributor starting in January. I will be writing about energy, b school, recruiting, entrepreneurship etc from a b school student point of view. So that has been taking up my time as well.

-I couldn't believe it that the next class at Sloan will be here soon. We hosted the admit weekend for those who were admitted in the 1st round in late February. I still remember me attending the same event last year. How time flies peeps! I was asked to sit in on a couple of panels to answer questions and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of questions the new admits asked.

-I am in a couple of interesting courses this semester: Macro-Econ (highly recommend this to anyone, especially at MIT) and New Enterprises (course on how to write a business plan for a new venture). I am also in Finance II which is a good learning experience. We are being taught on how to evaluate the health of firms based on financial statements. Not a bad learning experience.

-Speaking of macro-econ. We were given three topics to debate in class (carried 50% of the grade). The team that I was on was voted the best in both the topics that we competed for. Topic 1: Should China be a Democracy in 5 years? Topic 2: Would you vote Yes for the stimulus package? We had a ball preparing for the debates. And ended up doing really well on both. Learnt quite a bit about China and how things work there in the process. And let me tell you, a lot things will surprise you. By the way, we argued that China did not need to be a democracy in 5 years (or possibly for a long time). Economic and Social well being has very little do with what form of government you have, we discovered.

-Recruiting has been progressing. I decided to focus solely on Venture Capital gigs for the summer with a sharp focus on energy and materials. I have a couple of solid leads but no confirmed internship yet. My goal is to spend the summer at a top tier energy VC shop and I feel that if everything goes well I will land a gig at one of those places.

-I managed to convince the student affairs office at Sloan to give me money to start a Squash club. So officially started the Sloan Squash club in February. We had a lot of interest from classmates and glad to see people show up on the first Sunday to practice. I also managed to connect with our B school friends up the river (aka HBS) and we are planning on having a Sloan-HBS squash tournament soon. Should be fun.

-Enough about me. Seriously. Are you peeps following the happenings in the world? Jeeeez. Where to start?

-AIG and the bonus mess. Well, I need to find out more info before jumping up and down like those idiots on TV calling everyone and their grandma thieves. How were the bonuses structured? Are people who made the wrong choices rewarded or is this for the new talent? How is the bonus structure setup, for long term or short term? I have not had a chance to check this out but if anyone knows please comment.

-Stimulus Package mess? As I wrote earlier we debated this in class and I have an insiders perspective on this since our professor is a well known economist. According to him this is a panic reaction from the govt. I will not get into details about this but one of the main arguments was that instead of giving consumers money to spend the govt should have incentivized businesses (by lowering corporate taxes etc) to invest. Great topic to debate by the way.

-I will end this by quoting our Macro-econ professor's views on politics and politicians. "Politicians should not govern based on what party and what philosophy they believe in, they should govern based on what the situation at hand demands". Exactly by beliefs about politics in this country.

Until next time (which should be soon hopefully!).

No comments: