Thursday, September 13, 2007

Visit to NYU/Stern

So, early this week I made the trek to the NYU campus in NYC. I attended an info session at Stern. What did I think you ask? Well:

-The info session was a bit different from the ones I have attended so far. We started with brief introductions and proceeding for a brisk walk onto the 3 main floors in the Kauffman Center. Towards the end of the walking/talking tour the lady sat us down in a room and showed a few slides about the school and application requirements.

-Three current students tagged along with us and they were pretty helpful in answering questions on the side. 2 of them seemed nervous though!

-The class size is about half that of Wharton and Columbia (about 400 kids every year).

-I was specifically told that Stern welcomes applicants with PhDs. That was good to hear.

-Fall session seemed to have started, it was quite loud as walked around on the three floors.

-One interesting thing was that there was a Bloomberg terminal on one of the floors where students can hook up and get streaming quotes directly. That seemed neat.

-Clubs and student activities seemed similar to other schools.

-The lady specifically addressed all application issues clearly. One thing that I took away from that was to not leave anything in doubt for the ad com. If you need to explain something, do it.

-I spent about 2h on campus and the feeling I got was that the average age was lower than other schools. Or I could have been seeing students from other programs?

Overall, it was good. I will apply here. The deadline is in November so I still have time.

No comments: