Friday, July 6, 2007

GMAT II

I scored 680 on my first Kaplan 'diagnostic' test (this was available online with the purchase of the book). Not sure if this was really a diagnostic test as I had semi-seriously prepped for GRE in January so had a head start. Anyway, 680 was not bad. Marcus later told me that this was a linear test which is usually easier than a CAT test.

I have to point out here that it was invaluable for me to have Marcus telling me often about the GMAT prepping experiences of his buddies. For example, in my first CAT test I scored a 550 and felt like breaking anything in sight! At that time it was good to remind myself what Marcus had said earlier about the Kaplan CAT tests being intentionally tougher than the actual test. Marcus had also forwarded a detailed e-mail from his friend who had taken the GMAT recently where he explained how to prepare for it step by step. In that e-mail he said that the actual GMAT test score will usually be about 50 to 100 points higher than the Kaplan CAT tests.

Another important point from this e-mail was to take the two mba.com tests immediately prior to the actual GMAT as the format and the level of difficulty are similar to the actual test. This in hindsight was a great suggestion.

No comments: