Sunday, July 8, 2007

Program Research - NYU Stern and MIT Sloan MBA

Spent an hour or so researching a bit more about the MBA curriculum at NYU Stern and MIT Sloan today. I had already looked into both programs earlier this year and had come away unimpressed. Today was a different story though:

NYU Stern:
-The concentrations appear to be very well defined especially in Finance.
-I counted three specific Finance concentrations which covered a lot of areas.
-There is a specific Quantitative Finance concentration as well. Courses under this concentration include Stochastic Methods which is pretty intense.
-NYC location which is always good.
-Student body seems pretty diverse.
-I thought the total number of students that are accepted every year was rather low at ~400. But that should be a good thing right?!
-My friend K went there for the part-time MBA program and liked it.
-However, another friend of mine (let's call her Mrs. Doooo who currently is at Wharton) thinks I should not apply there. (Brand name not as shiny as Wharton/Columbia or other Ivvies apparently!).

MIT Sloan:
-Finance concentration not very well defined (atleast on their website!)
-More emphasis on Leadership and Technology here.
-I have to say their website is not very friendly or informative for prospective students. Is it just me or does someone else feel the same? I do not mean to be a d**k about this but those are my honest observations.
-It appears to me that prospective students interested in operations and technology management should target Sloan. No doubt there are pretty high in quality there.
-And I read that they are starting a MFE type program in 2008. That I am assuming will rise to the top very quickly.

Well, after today I am leaning towards applying to NYU. I need to schedule a campus visit this month. One thing to note though is that NYU announces it's first round decisions only late in the year or even in early January 2008. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing?

No comments: